Monday, October 11, 2004

October 9, 2004

Harold Ave,-Lake Claire

This is a small sale in a driveway. I find an old Technicolor format video recorder; I had not seen one on over 20 years. I don’t know how it got here. Among the items are a Paula Abdul dance VHS tape and kung fu workout tape, a pack of playing cards from Mount Rushmore, A Mac G3 without a hard drive, that is being sold for $100. The package includes a massive scanner and printer. There is also a bag of toy plastic food that includes a fried egg and an ear of corn.
I buy nothing.

Claire Dr, -Lake Claire- Multiple sales

The Lake Claire tour of homes is today so this street has more than a half dozen sales. Whenever I encounter sales like this I find I am disappointed. Perhaps its because the sellers really don’t have to have a full blown sales for one reason or another but just haul out a half drive way or table full of items in hope of making a little money. They really are not good indicators of what is happening with these people’s lives. Among the items I find are a Three Dog Night songbook, rolls of yarn, a wet suit, a book “The gift of fear” a video tape from a Romanian Airline, a prodigy CD, a cap that says “Dream” and some old looking prints of an English fox hunt.
I buy a Bossa Nova CD.

Mathews St.-Lake Claire

This house had started the sale yesterday so I don’t know what I’ve missed, Among the items are a book-“Guidelines for Safe drinking”, A leather bra, a cow skull, a 1966 copy of Playboy, some old canned peppers, yarn and several Nine Inch Nails CDs.
I buy a Clyde McPhatter CD, but return later to buy a bed frame for Todd Butler’s daughter, Kitty.

Ferguson St,-Candler Park

This is a rather boring sale that includes a VHS copy of “Waterworld”, a plastic shark, a shark mask, a old child’s microscope kit, a very ugly abstract painting and a monitor for $20.
I buy nothing.

Lakeshore Ave, -Lake Claire

Most of the stuff is picked through, but there is a book entitled “ Everything I know in life I learned growing up in Florida”
I buy a pair of Ray Bans for 25 cents.

Howard Circle, -Lake Claire

This home has a lot of stuff in the yard including a Bush Cheney sign. Among the items are a pair of camo pants, a motor for a bass boat, golf clubs, a tie with a hammer and cycle, a pack of cards entitled “52 Relaxing Rituals” a candle shaped like a cinnamon bun and a Sigma Kappa sweatshirt.
I buy nothing.

8th-St, Midtown

This is a somewhat strange sale as the seller has a cake and a pie from a local supermarket for sale. Maybe he was supposed to go to a potluck dinner on Friday but decided to have a sale instead. He is also selling an old bottle of Mexican Sherry. The original price tag says 61 cents. There is a table with home recorded VHS tapes with carefully caligragraphed labels indicating title like Silverado, World Cup 94 and Mad Max, a feather boa, a set of Marlboro BBQ cooking tools and a surf board.
I buy nothing but do consider the bottle of Sherry.

Elmwood Ave, -Morningside

Two houses next to one another have a number of items in their yards. One has more antique like stuff. One item is a vintage 1972 answering machine still in the box; it’s a bit of a behemoth compared to today’s compact machines. The seller also has a set of green telephones that looked like they were pulled out of an insurance office in 1974, there is also an old floor model radio and a very large picture of a hippie-looking girl, the painting has spirals of rope winding around the figure.
I buy nothing.

Courtney St, -Virginia Highlands

I drive out of my way following the signs to this small sale. In the yard a few things are on display. In front of a woman in a wheelchair is a pile of old Life Magazines. Holding one up she remarks “Why here’s Liz Taylor when she turned 40”
I buy nothing.

Middlesex, -Morningside Massive Sale

Another Bush Cheney Sign is at the Massive Sale. But I find no evidence of massive stuff at this sale in the driveway behind the house. There are CNN and Headline news mugs, a pink Barbie convertible, a toy Meile oven, a bobbing head Tiger Woods figure, a monitor for $10. Mostly it’s kid’s stuff. There is a sign that says “ask me about the treadmill”. In the center of it all is a large pile of Beanie Babies in perfect condition. The market has obviously collapsed on those once popular collectibles.
I buy nothing.

End of the Day- 2 CDs and a pair of Ray Bans- $2.25






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that this is about the greatest Blog I have come across: totally amusing. I too enjoy yard sales, though I don't go nearly as often as I ought to. I never would have thought to keep track of the odd things I see. Kudos.

Anonymous said...

Hi #NAME##, I came across your site while blog surfing around (something I like to do when I'm board :-). You have a really cool blog. If you are interested, go see my Crazy and Bizarre eBay Auctions site. Can you believe people really sell this stuff??

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, very unique blog you have! I was looking for fragrance oil related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a fragrance oil site. You can find everything about candle supplies, gel candles, jar candles, and how to make your own candles. You'll find it very informative. Please visit it.