Wednesday, November 21, 2007

11/3/07 - Three ways to yard sales on foot, by car and on a bicycle

Marlbrook Ave. – Lake Claire “Yard Sale”

This morning I needed to repair the screen door on my porch, which my new cat tore apart when he attempted to climb on it. Before I headed to the hardware store I took my camera and walked over to this sale two blocks from my home. When I arrived a little after nine I found that the seller was just putting stuff out in the yard so I did not want to bother her with persistent documentation. I captured a few images then walked towards home with the seller’s mother who was going that way to replace a few signs that had been torn down by some yard sale hating neighbor. The woman did not know how to operate a staple gun so I felt good that I accompanied her on this task. I did not make it back to the sale later in the day to see what was put out for sale. But I did get a photo of two manikin torsos that were in the yard.

A premature yard sale. I failed to return when it was open for business.















Mathews Ave - Lake Claire “Yard Sale”

While driving back from buying some screen at Lowe’s I noticed a sign for this sale and stopped by. This was a medium size event in the yard and driveway of a frame bungalow. When I approached with camera in hand the seller asked if I was the Yard Sale Addict and that she was familiar with my work. I then began capturing on camera what was on display. The stuff in the yard was mostly children’s toys. These included big plastic action figures, a play race track with cars, a xylophone, a big plastic aircraft carrier, old copies of Highlights for Children, a few plush animals and a multitude of unidentifiable plastic toy parts jumbled in a large pile.
On the Driveway side things were more reserved and less colorful. There I found a disassembled ceiling fan, some vintage women’s clothing, a fireplace screen, a Persian carpet, a stair-master, some bolts of fabric, a wooden skateboard ramp and a large toy big-wheel truck.
I bought nothing.

A disassembled ceiling fan and it's reflection.

















Pile of plastic playthings.
















Oakdale Ave- Candler Park “Men’s Sale”

After repairing the screen door, I went out on my bike towards Candler Park and Inman Park. In Candler Park I followed the signs to this sale. In the hedged in yard of a brick home I found racks of men’s clothing and tables full of men’s shoes. Out on the sidewalk upon a table was a big model of a sailing ship (which someone bought shortly after I photographed it), a plush moose, a plush otter in a case that said “otter on his own’ and a Rugrats figure in it’s original packaging. In front of a pickup truck was a large punching bag. On the back of the truck was a washing machine. Other things there included a metal locker the type found in locker rooms, a wooden sculpture of figures holding hands in a circle, a water cooler and a plastic bin filled with lps. On top of the pile was a Donna Summers recording. I found this sale perplexing since it was hard to tell where the stuff really came from or why it was here.
I looked through the men’s clothes but none appeared to be my size. I bought nothing.




Manly things such as ship and plush moose on display.














Large selection of menswear that did not fit me.

1 comment:

Gadfly said...

Very nice! Great photos, and the houses in this neighborhood are just lovely...I want to move there! I am a yard sale addict myself.