Thursday, January 04, 2007

1/1/07 - Another Year in the Yards of Clutter

The holiday season has ended, a new year has started and I have not added anything to this journal in over three weeks. Since my last entry there have been no yard sales to document. On Christmas eve I did take note one sale in Toco Hills for a sale but in the continuing hubbub of the season I missed it. But the documentation of clutter did take one step forward at year’s end as my yard sale exhibit “A year in the Yards of Clutter and the Driveways of Divestment” was named one of Creative Loafing’s top ten visual art exhibits of the 2006. This year I will be presenting the photographs from my series to Nashville’s Ruby Green Gallery for a solo exhibition in June.

The end of another holiday season displayed on the curb.













Over the holidays we did see the passing of the greatest entertainers of our time James Brown. For the occasion I headed off to Augusta on Friday evening to pay my last respects. I spent most of the evening at the Soul Bar where the DJ played the music of the Godfather of soul non-stop. While the hits blared all night visuals of Saddam’s hanging played silently on video monitors behind the bar. Outside further down Broad Street I found a far quieter scene as devotees and fans mingled and posed for photos around the James Brown statue.
On Saturday morning we lines up with the thousands of other mourners to enter the James Brown Arena for the Homegoing service. At the three hour plus event his band played, his widow sang and the crowd roared as a frail looking Michael Jackson entered the arena. James Brown will be missed.

At the Soul Bar fans dance while Saddam is hung.













The Godfather of Soul at rest.

No comments: