Sunday, November 13, 2005

11/5/05 Salvation for feet, filthy soap and decaying recordings

As leaves continue to fall from trees and Halloween décor is taken down I found today a number of perplexing sales that asked more questions than I could ever try to answer.

Clifton Rd. - Lake Claire “Yard Sale”

This sale around the corner from my home was a disappointing start. A trio of decaying Jack-o-lanterns watched over a selection of baby items and household clutter. Among the stuff scattered in the front yard of this craftsman bungalow were some disassembled metal shelves, a half dozen wicker baskets, a bike seat, a bread maker, a copy of “Parliament of Whores” and an old microwave oven.
I bought nothing.

Clifton Rd. - Lake Claire “Yard Sale”

Two blocks down I found a more interesting collection of stuff in the front yard of a brick home. Spread out on a blanket was a number of animal headed dolls. Most disturbing was one that I took at first to be a doll with a taxidermy squirrel head. At closer inspection it turned out to be a ceramic rabbit head. Scattered about the yard and on a few tables was a portable typewriter, a large pair of speakers, a bike seat, a box set on Anne Rice books on tape, a strange action figure called Skumm, some magnets promoting beer drinking and dozens of screw drivers.
I bought nothing.

No comments: