Thursday, July 14, 2005

Be it the threat of rain, the extent of the rain we’ve had, the possibility that everyone is away on vacation or maybe it’s the humidity but no one seems to be having any sales of consequence. The folks that are having them don’t even seem to care. And with all this rain I shouldn’t even be going to sales I should be trying to flood proof my basement.


Mell Ave. - Candler Park “Yard Sale”

There was not a lot to this sale just a few blocks from my home. Near the driveway was a small selection of women’s clothing and some toddler toys. Facing the street was a large framed photo of James Dean and a glossy black tote bag that said Hollywood.
I bought nothing.

Whiteford Ave. - Edgewood “Yard Sale”

The grim reminder of this sale was that it was a back to school yard sale. The back to part reminding me that my summer vacation was more than half over and that I would be returning to my life as a working man. The school-oriented stuff included a collection of backpacks. There was another sign that said, “Gently used boys shoes”. I have seen very few boys who use their shoes gently. These children probably just went barefoot most of the time. Other items included a lot of toys, some African art and a framed print of an old front porch.
I bought nothing.

Emerson Ave. - Ormewood Park “Yard Sale”

After leaving Edgewood In continued south on Moreland hoping to see a sign for a sale in East Atlanta that was listed in Craigslist a few days earlier. There were no signs for any East Atlanta sales but I did find this one small sale near my old home in Ormewood Park. In the driveway was once again a selection of women’s cloths, some pop novels by Puzo, Robbins and others, some baby items and a stack of Fiesta ware platters priced at $40 each.
I bought nothing.

McLendon Ave. - Candler Park “Yard Sale”

Back in my neighborhood I found this very small sale. A man had a few things assembled in front of his frame craftsman bungalow. Among the stuff there were twin lamps shaped like the Eiffel Tower, some towels, two glitter covered plush spiders and a few items of men’s clothing.
I bought nothing.

Norwood Dr. Kirkwood “Must See Garage Sale”

I knew this day was going nowhere when I crossed under the tracks again this time going into Kirkwood. First there was no garage at this garage sale. Here in the front yard of a small one-story frame house two women presided over a moderate amount of clutter. Among the stuff there were two framed Chinese ideograms, one symbolizing dreams the other laughter. There was also a lot of women’s leather clothing, a Texas flag made of sheet metal, a box set of the Sopranos, a copy of the “7 Secrets of Highly Effective People” and an old portable TV set.
I bought nothing.

McLendon Ave. - Lake Claire “Yard Sale”

As I neared home I stopped at this final small and insignificant sale. Up some steps in front of the home I found several Cure CDs, a copy of a Gross Anatomy textbook, an Ikea file cabinet, a turntable for $10, some women’s cloths and some cloth napkins.
I bought nothing.

No comments: