Thursday, April 26, 2007

Saturday 4/21/07

Clifton Rd. – Lake Claire “Yard Sale”

This sale in front of a small simple bungalow was filled with shoppers when I arrived just after nine in the morning. Here two women watched over a front yard strewn with clutter. In the yard was an aquarium several lamps, a very uncomfortable looking high back chair, draperies, lampshades, candles, a spanking paddle, clocks, a bobbing headed Jesus and a poster of Rod Stewart. Proudly sitting atop a concrete Doric column was a toaster oven. Among a pile of books on the ground I found “A Skeptics Guide to 12 Steps”, “Does She or Doesn’t She?” “Life After God”, “The Art of Eating”, “In Memory’s Kitchen”, “You Just Don’t Understand”, “Essential Buddhism”, “How to Get Your Cat to Do What You Want”, “Crazy Ladies” and “The Company of Women”. In the driveway was a table laden with small jars. In my sleep clouded mind I first though this to be a prep area for a lemonade stand. The seller told me the jars contained homemade bath products.
I bought nothing.
Toaster oven on a pedestal.

















One of several religious images I encountered today.

No comments: