Tuesday, March 28, 2006

3/25/06 The First Sales of Spring

This Saturday morning the temperatures dipped down to 34 degrees. People want yard sales but only those with down coats dare stand out in the early morning cold attempting to divest their goods. Of course there are those inside the home estate sales, these continue as always. There were two near Decatur this morning.

Hummingbird Ct. - Decatur “Yard Sale”

I’m up early and driving to the first estate sale and realize that it does not start for another ten minutes. I then follow the signs for this event through the circuitous Heaton Park neighborhood. The sale is only five blocks away but over a mile if you follow the signs. When I arrive a man in a heavy coat is watching over a collection of stuff lining his driveway. Here I find a large pair of Realistic speakers, a bow with a single arrow, a very small paper shreader, linens, glassware, an Xmas tree stand, a box of three ring binders, a bag of foam monster ears, candles and a mirror made for watching yourself play golf.

A box of books includes some of the following titles, “Down the Road with the Grateful Dead”, “The Meat Cookbook” a Japanese phrasebooks and two works by Rush Limbaugh.

I buy the bow and arrow and the monster parts for my installation.

1 comment:

Chris the Yardsale Queen said...

Hi Tom - I recently spoke with a reporter from the Atlanta Journal Constitution who is doing a yardsale article and I hope you don't mind, but I passed your email onto her. So she will probably be contacting you in the next few days.