Wednesday, March 08, 2006

March 4, 2006


Hampton Terrace – Lake Claire “Yard Sale”

This morning I went to the school system’s reading bowl were my students excelled in their literary knowledge. On my way home I stopped at this sale in my neighborhood. In the yard of a large duplex a woman watched over the odd and sparse remains of her sale. A large table sturdily constructed of plywood and cinderblock was covered in popular fiction and non fiction from the past ten years. Among the titles were works on the Clinton years and a selection of mysteries. Another less sturdy table contained some ugly creations someone had brought home from one of those paint your own ceramics bars. I also encountered old electronics, an ugly souvenir hat from Acapulco, a package of sock savers, a Part O’Brian hurricane glass (how ironic that one of the trademark drinks of New Orleans is the hurricane) and some Halloween costume knives and hatchets.
I bought an armload of assorted low priced clutter to use for my show at the Contemporary.

No comments: